A meerkat is a small African mammal that has an average length of 25-35 centimeters and an added tail length of 17-25 centimeters.
Meerkats usually eat insects, but also feed on lizards, snakes, scorpions, spiders, plants, eggs, small mammals, millipedes, centipedes, and small birds.
- A group of meerkats is called a "mob," "gang," or "clan."
- Meerkats have an average life span of 12-14 years.
- Meerkats are immune to the poison from scorpions or snakes.
- Meerkats are a tasty treat for jackals, eagles, and falcons.
- Other names for meerkats include the slender-tailed meerkat and African suricate.
- The meerkat uses its tail for balance and as a signal.
- Meerkats can dig as much dirt as their own body weight in a couple seconds.